Friday, June 18, 2010

Swim, man, Swim!











Zach loves baseball, but Mason loves swimming! And he is a good swimmer - must run in the family genes!! Mason swims in the summer for the Antioch Delta Skimmers - the same swim team I swam for when I was a kid! This is year #5 for Mason, and he's now swimming with the big boys. This is the year when bodies start changing, and kids are no longer stepping up to the blocks looking like little children! And Mason noticed this change at the first meet! No longer is Mason coming in first place - he's finding himself around the fourth and fifth place finisher. Which is good, but not good in Mason's eyes. I always knew that competitive edge would kick in at some point, I just didn't know when. I just wanted Mason to enjoy doing something he enjoyed and that kept him active and healthy. But, this year, Mason has decided to step it up a notch to stay competitive. We went out and bought his first set of fins so he could increase his leg strength (his words) and I can find him at night in his room with hand weights, so he can increase his upper body strength (again, his words). It's weird to watch this transformation take place - but it's kinda cool too. I was way too competitive growing up, and while I'm glad Mason's not there, it's fun to see him grow and change! At the last meet he announced that he wanted to buy a swim cap to help him improve his time! I LOVE going to meets and watching Mason compete. It makes me miss competing myself. I wish we lived closer to where the Masters swim team practice and compete! But for now, I'll just have to live vicariously through my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment